Sunday, May 2, 2010

Managing my computer

I think this is easier said then done. After class I started to think about all the things I really should do or do more often to keep my computer and files safe.

First things first- I have to starting backing-up REGULARLY! Sure, I have some files stored on USB sticks or burned on some DVDs but nothing is really organized. I would be devastated if I lost all the info on my computer. Another things I need to do to make my computer safer is clean up all the junk. It would probably help me recognize any unwanted files and help my computer run more smoothly. I already have a Norton Anti virus and really try to keep it current and up-dated.

As for the second question- what should I know in order to ensure proper computer functioning and data safety is "I really don't know". I am hoping that through the next few assignments and classes I will have a more concrete understanding of how to "safe guard" my computer. I already know not to open attachments or emails you do not recognize and be careful of installing new software but, I have very little knowledge on viruses, bugs, worms and trojans.

3 comments:

  1. I have found that the online dropbox is so great for saving all your trusted documents. I can access these files from anywhere and I know they are safe. I was like you Rachel, I had several USB sticks stored all around. I never could find the one I needed, so when I was introduced to this great idea of online storage I feel in love!! It makes backing up your system easy and accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel!

    You said it! Back up regularly! I still am holding on to the hope that I will someday know how to attach the hard drive of two dead computers to a newer computer so that I can find and use files that were important to me. I guess I have saved enough of the most important files. But I too, would be devastated to lose everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description of backing-up sounds familiar. I used to have everything everywhere, but I am learning to consolidate.

    ReplyDelete