I have really thought about this since my last post and have decided to create a few digital stories and/or pecha kuchas for showing demonstrations to my art classes. It might be a great way to increase student working time as well as helpful in classroom management. If I have more freedom to "float" around the room as they are watching the video or presentation I won't have to stop the entire demonstration to address inappropriate behavior. I will also have a copy of "how-to" for any absent students or confused students.
I started my digital storytelling journey on Thursday by video tapping a pottery wheel demonstration. With my schools technology integrator I plan on splicing it or taking still frames and using voice thread or audicity to narrate the steps. Using the digital storytelling format it will shorten the length of the demonstration so it can be viewed during class or after school. I can also post it to our website and have students that were absent view it on their own time.
I when I have it finished I will share it and see what you guys think! :)
Saturday, November 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm really excited about digital story telling as well. I was telling my students about it and they want to create one. It's neat that they were excited because it makes me feel like this is really worth while. I'm loving all the classes so far. I feel like we have come such a long way. I also had the idea of putting my directions for projects on a voice thread. That way they could play it at home, or whenever they felt they needed it. What a great idea.
ReplyDeleteRachel - Great idea about video recording your demonstration and then editing it to fit your needs. It is more work on the front end but once it is done it will be so easy to just direct an absent student or anyone who needs a "refresher" to go to the video instead of redoing the demonstration live or re-explaining the process. I would like to do the same thing - create some screencasts of "tricky" activities & post it to my website so students can use it to study from or review if they are stuck on it while trying to work from home. It is just setting aside the time to actually create the videos/screencasts that seems daunting right now.
ReplyDeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteWhile reading your blog, I was drawn to the portion you mentioned with kids with inappropriate behavior. Then I thought about it some more. In some of my classes, I pretty much know who will be "screwing around". You could put in a hyperlink and when a student begins to do something inappropriate, you could hit the hyperlink which would go to a slide that says anything you want, such as "Get back on task" or "Would you like a referral or trip to the principal's office?". Maybe not a good idea, but isn't it fun some of the stuff we can do!
What an awesome idea to post your demonstration on your website! That way students have no excuse for not understanding you. Another plus would be for any special needs teachers that might have a student in your class. They will understand what you are doing in your class and be able to scaffold their special needs students. Excellent!!
ReplyDelete