Saturday, March 5, 2011

Week 3

Oops!! Having a baby last week has really screwed up my schedule!! :p I seem to have missed week 3's blog response.

Real life stats connection...
After having my daughter I was all of a sudden given tons of statistics about height, weight, breastfeeding, SIDS, etc. and I was thinking about how stats are everywhere in every profession (including motherhood!) Now that I am home and somewhat more coherent, I am wondering about how they get their statistics. Are they samples or populations? What does it mean if my daughter is not on the "charts"? (she was really chunky) How do they know that certain blankets and sleepers help lower the risk of SIDS? It just suprised me that there are statistics all around us that we don't even think twice about. I am now questioning how statistics guide many of our programs in schools and curriculum...interesting thoughts to ponder!

No comments:

Post a Comment