Wednesday, June 15, 2011

E-Portfolio? Yes please!

I have never created an e-portfolio, but have wanted to for a year or two now. In fact, my principle would like all the teachers in our building to create an e-portfolio for this following school year and am THRILLED to have such a head start!

As for how my school currently uses e-portfolio...it doesn't. One of the main reasons my principle is starting this initiative this year is so that the follow year all of our middle school students will be able to start their own e-portfolio. Our district just approved having 1:1 netbooks for all of our 7th graders (piloting a new program) and creating an e-portfolio would just be the next step for us. Since the students will have access to a computer 24/7, keeping their course work/ refections/ projects in a portfolio would be so simple. :)

I also think that it would be great for teachers to share their portfolios with one another to share ideas and it would be an excellent way for different content areas to "see" what each other is teaching and how they are reaching their standards (what types of activities, technologies, experiences are the students getting).


2 comments:

  1. Rachel, our school doesn't have our students create e-portfolios either, but I like the way your school is taking the initiative to begin. I think it would be so much easier for students when they get to the application process for college to have documentation of the work that they have done readily at hand. I think it would amaze them to see how far they have come throughout their academic careers!

    One-to-One netbooks! How lucky for you - and your students! I use to wonder if that would be a good idea, mostly for the potential abuse the computers would take. But I'm starting to realize how much easier it would be if your students all have access to their own computers at all times. Your teaching strategies are going to change, that's for sure! How exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel - our district doesn't use e-ports, either. I'm thinking I'll be the first in our district to use one! I'm excited to talk to my staff to see if they would like to start one for the students when they enter 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete