My definition of teacher leadership is someone that wants the best for their school, students and community by promoting and supporting positive changes. They are also a person that takes risks when needed, volunteers when they can, accepts challenges with an open mind and values teamwork and collaboration.
I completely agree with the books assertion about "improving education from within". To me this concept is very similar to the "you have to love yourself before you can whole heartedly love anyone else." If we as the educators don't try to improve the education system, who will?
I know that I try to make our school a better place for students, staff and the community. I am very involved with our building and extra-curricular. In addition I feel like i am the students best advocate. I see and work with them everyday.
I enjoyed this class a lot and feel like I learned tons about the change process in schools. I know that it is not an over night event and that real change (meaningful and successful change) is long term. This class also made me realize that many of the duties I take on in my school are leadership roles.
I strongly agree that a teacher leader needs to be willing to take risks and learn from them. An open mind is also key as well. These should the ways to identify teacher leaders in the building.
ReplyDelete