I really hope to learn a variety of new skills and strategies for teaching in my classroom that isn't focused only on the arts. I have a great background in Adobe's Creative Suite and other editing programs but, lack the education in internet applications. I can't wait to learn and use the information we learn in class in my own classroom. Maybe I will actually be able to "teach" some technology skills to my students! :)
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
And so it begins!
Tonight was the first class in my online Master's program and I am really excited. I would consider my technology skills very erratic. I would consider my technology skill strong and well developed in some areas and extremely uninformed and clueless in others. My school district just purchased SmartBoards for every classroom and have really revamped their expectations of technology integration in the classroom. Even though this seems like a daunting task and difficult for an art teacher to fulfill, I couldn't be more excited. I just wrote my PDP on integrating technology into my classroom to help promote visual and digital literacy. So when I found this program I was thrilled!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know how you feel, Rachel! I considered myself to be very tech savvy, until I started a class on integrating technology last fall, and started learning about Nings, Wikis, and Social Bookmarking, and felt totally clueless! I, too, have a SMARTBoard in my classroom and absolutely love it! We don't have very many in our school, so I feel fortunate to have one. I plan to use Social Bookmarking to organize my sites that I usually saved under Favorites. I think that will really help me find things easier, from school and home.
ReplyDeleteHaving a PDP goal with technology will really help - let us know how we can ensure success. I'm still not sold on SmartBoards, I don't see instruction change enough - so you and others will have to keep me posted.
ReplyDeleteWow Rachel that is awesome that your district has purchased smartboards for every classroom! I love the smartboard and think its such a great tool for engaging the students. How have you implemented it in your class? I would love to hear how the students react to the new technology:)
ReplyDeleteI have used the smartboard for a variety of projects. It's great to have it for showing artwork and then being able to "draw" around areas to help guide student understanding. I have also used it for more difficult drawing lessons like perspective so that my hands are free to help the students when they need it. The lessons I created act as a tutorial for the students so they don't need to have me there all the time. They can click through the presentation themselves. In addition, I have also designed a smartboard page that is an interactive attendance sheet. It lets me know who is here, and what set of their project they are on all within the first 5 minutes of class. And of course, I use the tool kit for games, activities and interactive pieces.
ReplyDelete