Personally, I really like the fact that the students have access to reliable and safe websites. Many websites appear to be good sources of information but turn out to be opinions or inaccurate information. My students and I encounter this problem frequently when we are researching new artists. I am more than willing to spend time finding good online resources for them if it will be less of a hassle to have them research new artists and art trends. Most of the time they get frustrated with searching before they have even learned anything new. I know how important it is to teach students how to search safely and accurately online but, if we can first show them the awesome websites out there in an easier and friendlier way, I say "let's do it". Once we have created a desire to find the good websites (not just the ones that are listed on a google search first) we can show them how to do this on their own. Just a thought! :)
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Social Bookmarking
I tried out social bookmarking in my classroom this past week and it was great. The students thought it was so cool to have everything in one place and not just on one computer. Unfortunately, our district has blocked this site to student access but, it was still great to show them the website and explain how beneficial these types of sites can be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Rachel have you tried Google Scholar? It is a good serach engine and limits the junk that filters into an average search. I know it be frustrating for students when trying to gather information especially when so many sites are prohibited by the district (not always a bad thing). Maybe you could copy and paste the websties you bookmarked into an email and forward on to your students? Internet is very helpful when conducting research on new artists, it provides a visual learning tool. Because as we all know its nice to talk about it but to actually visualize it makes it all come together;)
ReplyDeletethanks! I will give these ideas a try!
ReplyDelete