This article was really powerful for me as I am always looking for new ways (and more effective ways) to provide my students with feedback. One of my favorite lines from this article was “…feedback is only effective when it translates into a clear, positive message that students can hear.” This line really made me think that I need to become more aware of how I am delivering feedback. If they can’t understand or learn from the feedback, is it really feedback?
Another point I found interesting in the article was one on knowing when the students should receive the feedback. Since art projects take time, patience, practice and problem solving some feedback needs to be immediate and at other times I need to gauge my student’s progression as the project continues. This balance is difficult to keep but essential to the individual growth of each student. Learning how to judge when to give what type of feedback is key when providing students with positive, meaningful and valuable feedback.
Rachel, I complete agree with you, feedback for students is so important! Though I do not have a classroom myself, I am constantly dealing with students and provide feedback to them, not only on their school work, but accomplishments and, unfortunately behaviors. This article was a great way to assess how feedback is given and truly gave wonderful suggestions for alternative ways in different situations. I loke your comment "esstential to the individual growth of each student".
ReplyDelete